Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cost of a good shave

This past week gave me the opportunity to head north into Canada to meet the boss, see some colleagues in our Toronto office and visit some clients of the company I work for. The one night trip was meant to be fast -- about 36 hours within Canada to get some work done.

Given the short flight, the small Embraer jets have little overhead compartment room on board -- so a carry-on bag of average size is dropped off plane-side when boarding and when you get off. The "carry on" status only means it goes through security scans as you enter the secured airport area just like any carry-on, but ultimately the bag goes into the hold of the aircraft with the other luggage.

Typically I'd be checking an overnight bag for the reason that I have a razor in my kit and shave in the morning. A bag must be checked in this case -- they won't allow someone through security with a men's safety razor. And naturally with a checked bag comes the extra $15 each way (on top of the $566 ticket) for the one-hour flight.

So, to summarize, my razor went to Canada and came back for $30 extra. I believe next time I'll be abandoning the razor at my house -- then carrying on the bag & avoiding the fees. If I want a shave in Canada, I'll purchase a razor north of the border.

No comments: