Saturday, September 6, 2008

Monday to Friday

Françoise Bertaut de Motteville wrote "The true way to render ourselves happy is to love our work and find in it our pleasure." It seems that in 17th century France, the idea of being happy while engaged in our life's work was taking hold and still continues til today.

How to get the most out of our work is an interesting thing -- how some people are extremely driven to accomplish tasks or interact with people constantly is rather amazing. Other people have near zero drive to anything. I typically find myself caught between the two extremes. To maximize our drive (or our pleasure) in what we do, it seems wise to find ourselves loving our work -- or at least enjoying it enough so that it is not a sore pain point that just comes around several days a week.

My paid job keeps me involved Monday to Friday typically. I'm trying to make sure I enjoy that, despite daily challenges that come along. If I feel perpetually stuck or not having fun anymore, I'll be looking to move on and find something else. Love what you do!

No comments: